Love Poetry Again

It is amazing to me to see how far I have come in the five years since my marriage ended. Here is what I wrote four years ago this month under the weight of emotional pain which threatened to topple me.  I hardly recognize the hurting woman behind the words.  I wish I could tell "old me" that it would be alright...that as brutal as the end was, I would one day be grateful that it cleared the way for a bigger life and a bigger love, and a relationship with God that put all other relationships in perspective.
**************************************************************
February 2011:  I'm donne with yeats

Valentine's Day is around the corner.  Cheesy as it sounds, my husband and I actually did read poetry to each other every February 14th.  I probably started the tradition ten years ago.  We'd each hold a book of collected love poems and take turns reading our favourites to each other.  John Donne for me. William Butler Yeats for him.


" ...one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,  And loved the sorrows of your changing face", he would read and I would feel that familiar ache that comes with encountering words that are so wondrously strung together. "Busy old fool, unruly Sun, Why dost thou thus through windows, and through curtains, call on us? Must to thy motions lovers' seasons run? Saucy pedantic wretch, go chide late school-boys and sour prentices..." I would read and anticipate how afterwards we'd delight in rolling our tongues around the words saucy pedantic wretch over and over.                                                                                                            

No love poetry for me this year.  My daughter heads off to university in the fall.  This was supposed to be the beginning of the best years... no empty nest syndrome for me.  My husband and I would travel. We would be adventurers, socialites, activists, foodies, bookclub junkies and ecotourists.  We would spend weekends making brunches, eating European cheeses and sampling wines from countries whose borders we'd not yet traversed.  And as for those countries we had explored, they were already marked on the wall sized world map I'd given my husband for his birthday: green thumbtacks for the countries we'd only visited together and white thumbtacks for the countries in which we'd made love.  White for surrender; waving the white flag; white for the ultimate capitulation.  I wonder if he still has that map on the wall in his office.  If so, did he remove the white tacks out of deference to the  new woman in his life?  I wish I could tell her: there was Canada, the U.S., Mexico, France, Germany, Switzerland, Korea, China, Thailand, St. Lucia, Grenada.  This year we could have added England, Greece and New Zealand if he'd stuck it out.   Even in my moments of most intense self-recrimination I cannot discern what I did that could have warranted the utter repudiation of his love, his marriage vows, his optimism about us, his commitment to our marriage.  After 10 months of spinning my wheels trying to decide which one of us has the brain tumour, I am embarking on a new path.  I am conceding defeat.  I cannot fight the battle alone.  He has won.  The marriage is dead: a different kind of white flag.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Christmas, hotels, dogs and assailants

Can I write happy?

Remembering my father on the anniversary of his death